Applied’s London studio is looking for Middleweight/Senior Designers with 4-8 years experience, on both freelance and full time bases, with the possibility of one leading to another.
We are looking for candidates that can demonstrate experience of tackling complex information design problems, and proficiency at producing beautiful and meaningful design solutions. Successful candidates will be joining our team of design and urban planning experts in our friendly Covent Garden studio, as we deliver innovative wayfinding systems for the world’s leading cities, organisations, and institutions.
Working at Applied means working on all aspects of the design process from user research, through strategy and concept, to detailed design and implementation. Designers are expected to be highly motivated and passionate individuals, with a keen graphic eye and ambition to deliver projects of the highest quality.
Skills and responsibilities
The successful candidate will work seamlessly with Applied’s creative directors, design and planning teams, whilst also being able to work effectively and efficiently on their own initiative. Further skills include being able to:
- Prioritise work, balance multiple demands simultaneously, and plan and schedule resources to meet client commitments and deadlines
- Deliver projects from conception to production with minimal supervision
- Develop innovative designs for client deliverables
- Plan and execute client presentation materials
- Adeptly use relevant tools such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat etc
- Relate design work to the client’s business needs
- Negotiate project deadlines to create timelines, determining project scope to define cost estimates, and scheduling changes for client approval
- Deliver projects effectively by splitting them into their component activities and making sure each component is assigned, prioritised and monitored
- Set up full project plans rapidly for small project teams, including: objectives, milestones, priorities, team, calendar and nature of deliverables
- Balance multiple priorities by considering risk, importance, level of urgency, political impacts and other linkages
- Communicate clearly with all team members to ensure efficient workflow
- Be in touch of ‘state-of- the-art’ techniques, equipment, best practices and developments within the design community
The role may require occasional travel to work at client site or other locations as part of a project team providing design, conceptualisation and solutions pertaining to deliverables.
Candidates must demonstrate a solid understanding of information design and typography, and an ability to ideate, visualise and iterate strong design concepts. Candidates need to be confident and articulate, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Candidates will have worked for 4–8 years within the design industry, and must have experience in at least one of the following disciplines:
- Information design
- Wayfinding, signage, cartography
- Design for transport systems
- Environmental graphic design
Prior experience involving interaction design (website and apps), branding, product/industrial design, exhibition design and editorial design are also highly appreciated.
If you feel you have some or all of the skills and experience we are looking for, we would love to hear from you. To apply, please submit your CV, portfolio, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and title your email ‘Middleweight/Senior Design Postition’. In particular, we would like to know the process involved in developing your designs.
Due to the high volume of applications we are unable to notify unsuccessful applicants. If you have not been notified of the outcome of your application within three weeks of submitting your application, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.